- Standard is 4′ 6″ (can be reduced to 4′-0″ in certain instances – consult with the factory).
Minimum Clear Overhead (based on the standard 8′-0″ cab height):
- For speeds up to 100 Feet Per Minute (FPM) – 12′-1″ is required.
- For speeds between 101-150 FPM – 12’-4” is required.
Maximum Standard Speed:
- 150 FPM. (Minimum space requirements shown here are for 150 FPM maximum speed)
- Consult factory for speeds over 150 FPM (200 FPM maximum).
- Adequate supports for main and auxiliary guide rails, as well as jack units and support posts are required at vertical intervals in the elevator hoistway. Normal vertical spacing for these supports is approximately 9′-0″. As such, supports at floor levels only may not be adequate. Support locations are to be masonry or steel construction. If a block (CMU) hoistway is provided, block must be filled with mortar around the wall insert to provide rigid structure.
- Pit and overhead requirements shown are necessary to provide clearances as required by ASME A17.1 Safety Code.
- A pit ladder (to be provided and installed by others) is required in accordance with ASME A17.1 Safety Code.
- Top of hoistway must be vented in accordance with ASME A17.1 Safety Code and local building code(s).
- A 110V AC power outlet is required in the pit.
- The hoist beam required for installation of elevator must be removed (by others) if minimum vertical clearances to elevator are not available under the beam.
- An area of 5′-6″ x 7′-0″ x 8″-0″ high is usually adequate for a single car installation, with a 3 ’-0” wide door opening for access.
- Recommended location is adjacent to the hoistway at the bottom landing served. Machine room can be remotely located at any landing or above the hoistway – please consult the factory.
- Machine room temperature and humidity must be maintained in accordance with ASME/ANSI A17.1 Safety Code and to allow proper operation of the equipment.
This information is intended for preliminary planning. We have attempted to include the basic data you need for planning. For details about a specific or custom installation, please contact your local Canton Elevator Sales Representative, or contact us directly.